Many threats can become an issue to you and your family within your homes, such as radon gas, asbestos, lead paint, and sewage gas from improper sewer line vents. But when you recognize a threat or a potential problem of mold growth in your home, the risks associated with black mold and other toxic mold growths, you don't want to put your health at risk. Here are some recommendations to take care of a suspected mold problem with an associated moisture leak inside your home.
Recognize When to Hire a Test
There are times when you find water stains on your floor, carpeting, or down the side of the wall, but you can usually determine the source of the water that makes it not a big deal. This may happen when water splashed out of a sink when your child washed their hands, for example.
But when moisture is present in a larger amount in the materials and surfaces within your home from a leak, cracked or backed-up pipe, or a water leak from the roof, as examples, you know there may be more to the situation that puts your home at risk of mold growth in addition to requiring damage repairs. Anytime you discover moisture to the walls, flooring, ceiling, or cabinetry, and there is a presence of mold, which smells musty or earthy, you will want to get it professionally tested. It is not worth the risk to not hire a test when there is really mold lurking somewhere in your home.
Prepare the Area
Once you have arranged for mold testing services, there are some preparation steps you can take to get your home ready. Clear out clutter and furniture from the area where the testing professional will need to access so they can get to work testing and not have to worry about moving items from the area. This may include the items within a kitchen cabinet below the sink where you have found a musty odor or the storage boxes underneath your stairway where your water heater is suspected of leaking.
When you take this time to clear items out of the way to make the test more efficient, be sure you don't clean any surfaces. You don't want to wipe off any visible mold growth or any surfaces that don't appear to have any mold growth. Mold spores are not visible and you don't want to remove them before the test. And even visible mold should be left in place so the test professional can check the type of mold that is growing so you can most effectively clean it up.
Learn more about the process by contacting mold testing services.